Financial Aid Workshops


Financial Aid Application Workshops

The Financial Aid Office offers workshops to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) beginning in February for students and parents who have completed and filed their Federal taxes, or those individuals whom are not required to file taxes according to the IRS. Please Remember the FAFSA application deadline is May 1st.

If you would rather complete the FAFSA application on your own please go to the Resources column to your right, and select Apply for Aid.  For you convenience we have provided video tutorials on how to:

  • Create a Federal Student Aid ID (FSAID), which is now required to sign the application electronically.
  • Complete the FAFSA Application, which is the absolute first step when seeking Financial Aid.
  • Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, which links and imports your Federal taxes into your FAFSA application automatically, saving yourself the hassle of entering all of your tax information manually.

Prior to registering you MUST CREATE A FSAID at The FSAID is a username & password system has replaced the FAFSA PIN in order to better protect you and your families’ identities. According to the Department of Higher Education a dependent student must also have one parent create a FSAID. Dependent students are required to have two separate FSAID’s for both parent and student to electronically sign and submit the application successfully. Read below for more information on whether or not you are considered dependent.

During the workshop, students will complete the FAFSA application online. If you plan on registering for a workshop please read the information provided below to insure you bring the proper documents with you. Please be advised:

If you do not have your FSA ID, and the required documents you will have to reschedule your appointment.

To reserve a seat, or see workshop dates & times, please register for a workshop:

Do I Need to Provide My Parents’ Information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

According to the Department Of Higher Education, all FAFSA applicants are considered either “Independent” or “Dependent.” Dependent students are required to include information about their parents on the FAFSA. By answering the questions below, you can get an idea of which category you fit into:

  • Will you be 24 or older by Dec. 31 of the school year for which you are applying for financial aid?
  • Will you be working toward a Master’s or Doctorate degree? (M.A., M.B.A., M.D., J.D., Ph.D., Ed.D., etc.)
  • Are you married or separated, but not divorced?
  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have dependents (other than children or a spouse) who live with you, and receive more than half of their support from you?
  • At any time since you turned age 13; were both of your parents deceased? Were you in foster care, or a ward or dependent of the court?
  • Are you an emancipated minor, or do you have a legal guardian, determined by a court?
  • Are you an unaccompanied youth who is homeless or self-supporting, and at risk of being homeless?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

If you answered “No” to all the above questions, you are considered a dependent student and are required to provide your parents’ financial information when completing the FAFSA.  If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, then you are considered to be an independent student. You are not required to provide any parental information on your FAFSA. If you are under the age of 24 and answered “Yes” to any of these questions, you may be required to bring in additional documentation.

Gathering the Documents Needed to Apply

The FAFSA asks for information about you (your name, date of birth, address, etc.) and about your financial situation. Depending on your circumstances (for instance, when you filed taxes or what tax form you used), you might need the following information or documents as you fill out the FAFSA:

Your Social Security number (it’s important that you enter it correctly on the FAFSA!)

  • Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student .
  • Your Driver’s License or State ID number, if you have one.
  • Your Alien Registration Number, if you are not a U.S. citizen.
  • Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
    • Foreign tax return and/or:
    • Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans non-education benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student.
  • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate but not including the home in which you live; and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents, if you are a dependent student.

To reserve a seat to attend a FA Workshop please go to: